24 January 2016

Today, my brain didn't work right

This morning, I was scheduled to work an opening shift - and my alarm didn't go off. I woke up an hour late, quickly got dressed, and got in the truck. Once I got to work, I saw that the store was already open. One of my co-workers had misread the schedule and thought he had the opening shift. I explained my lateness and showed him the schedule. He then offered that we switch shifts, giving me the day free. I agreed.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I returned home, having been awake and moving for less than twenty minutes. This had to be the moment my meds kicked in because I remembered why I had requested the opening shift today. It was my father's birthday party this evening. And, now that I had to work the closing shift, I would miss the get together.

I did more than mentally kick myself as I called Other Mom and made my apologies to Poppa. My parents understood, of course, but it didn't stop me from feeling lousy about the whole situation. When I got to work for my closing shift, the miserable feeling continued. Yes, I was beating myself up, but not (as much) about the missed party.

Instead, I was miserable due to my new schedule. After working tonight til 10:30 pm, I have to be up tomorrow and at work by 7:30 am. Yay. -.-

All of this I blame on two things: technology and my ADD. Technology is to blame because my alarm did not go off. My phone shut off while on the charger last night. Kicking myself number one. ADD is to blame because I forgot about the party that my family had made sure to arrange around my work schedule. Kicking myself number two.

Yeah, it has been a fun ADD day. Hoping tomorrow will go better. Stick around to find out.

Have you ever forgotten a big, important event at the last minute? How did you cope?

No comments: